Lawson Avery History
Chartered Accountants based at 11 Cole Street, Masterton.
Lawson Avery was originally founded in 1909 by Norman Howard James in Perry Street, Masterton, New Zealand. At this stage the primary client base consisted of farming or rural occupations.
In 1933 the office shifted to the corner of Chapel Street and Lincoln Road. In 1939 after the depression and at the start of World War 2 Ray Hollis joined the ﬁrm on a preliminary try out basis for a salary of 350 pounds a year. The ﬁrm eventually changed its name to N.H.James and Hollis.
By January 1940 Ray Hollis was overseas with the Royal NZ Artillery for four years. He ﬁnished as a Major with the Military Cross and returned to Norman James in 1945 to commence a partnership known as James and Hollis.
In October 1945 Norman James had a heart attack and passed away soon after with Ray Hollis carrying on the firm.
In August 1948 Davidson Stratton joined Ray Hollis and created a new partnership called Hollis and Stratton. On 1 April 1966 Peter Lawson joined the Partnership, bringing with him a mostly commercial client base. Due to the signiﬁcant growth in the number of clients and the aging partners, in April 1973 Bill Avery joined as a Partner and the name of the firm changed to Hollis, Stratton. Lawson and Avery.
In 1974 the ﬁrm decided to purchase a section and build their own offices at 11 Cole Street. After demolishing the old house and completing the new building the office moved on 30 June 1977.